2016/03/06

Nick Bottoni Tournament

Garmin Connect - My first time at the tourney and it was swell, though I just could NOT stay out of the way sometimes. One girl ran into me and the ball bounced off me twice. It was crazy. Turns out there weren't enough teams for the boys tourney on Saturday so it was jut today. Bath girls won the title over Addison. And one of the semi-finals was Addison1 vs Addison2. All the games were really good. I was struck by the difference in play between the Corning United team vs the others, especially Bath. The CU team seemed to be playing dump-and-chase, sort of like hockey. The other teams were much more adept at looking for someone to receive a pass, and better touch passing as well. At one point they did a really nice pass back-and-forth to get around a defense, and there was some nice triangle play also. How do you teach that to young kids? It was really impressive, considering.

I was the only ref not wearing pants - didn't get the memo! I wore a new pair of NB sneakers I picked up just a couple hours earlier since all I had otherwise was my black outdoor turf shoes. I didn't do much moving so I could have gotten away with the outdoor ones, but I didn't know. At the end of the match we stayed to help clean up and the concession stand let the leftover hot dogs & pizza go for free.

Since this was a fundraiser, I was shocked that there is no website promoting it. Not even a Facebook page! Someone mentioned that there's a tournament listing site, but no one was sure whether or not this tournament was listed. I mentioned via email that I'd be happy to help with that. I also noticed they had fancy trophies - wonder how much they were & where they got them. At any rate, one meeting in the books for SCHSSA (Steuben County High School Soccer Association). They really need to change that name; nothing in it references who we are: referees & officials.

No comments:

Post a Comment