2022/09/19

M13 Finish and M12 start


​Had a rough go at some points, but got it done. Just one overnight, and tested the hammock, underquilt, hydration system, and how do the boots do going downhill and on road walks? All answers were as expected. Bug net for my head was a lifesaver a couple times. Bugs weren't bad, but they were persistent - I think I only got stung / bitten twice. Also glad to have brought the bright orange buff as there was some high caliber / shotgun fire near the trail register at the Birdseye Hollow area. Not that the orange prevented anything necessarily, but at least I had it. My gloves were more of a pain than usual and my hands were sweaty as heck / clammy while trying to sleep. I want the gloves to protect my hands, but also wanted to take pictures and verify location so I kept pulling out my phone. Maybe cut a hole in the index finger to make the whole setup a tad easier? Once it started raining I didn't even use the gloves. Rain setup was confirmed - poncho and gaiters were sufficient. Granted, the rain was light. But I was so sweaty underneath that it really didn't matter. Had I been going longer it would have been more important to keep the body temp up, but since it was only the last hour or two, I could have just left it in my pocket.

  • Body is still capable, but sore today. Lost 4 pounds - can I keep up the activity to get into better shape???
  • Almost tricked myself mentally into night hiking on the road because I was worried about water, but I stayed sane and stuck to the original plan. That was best. 
  • READ NOTES on the back of the map - I walked right past a pristine source in someones yard because I wasn't paying attention and didn't read the details. 
  • Hydration pump of the MSR Miniworks is still the king - wouldn't change it for any of my other options. Should have brought more purification pills, though. And more than 1L of extra water since the tablets take 4 hours to work. Also worried about purifying water instead of just filtering - why?
  • Hammock & underquilt were fine - I was mostly too hot at night tbh.
  • Boots were fine on the roads. Toes rubbed on the downhill so might look at using liners or thinner socks next time.


Things I learned this trip:

  1. Actually SIT in the hammock and test setup before night time. I chose a small tree and although it didn't break, it bent enough that I was on the ground as soon as I got it. Fortunately there was an alternate not too far away, but it was night time and I didn't want to do too much adjusting so I ended up with a ridgeline so tight you would walk on it. But everything held for a good nights sleep. I did lose one tent stake, though.
  2. Plastic / wooden spoons won't burn your mouth.
  3. A chair / stool is a good idea, even if there's a lean-to because you can sit off the floor in the rain.
  4. Poop before it rains!
  5. Always bring some form of soap! My hands were sticky, even after I used a shower wipe and it made sleep annoying for a while. Also good to have so you can clean up before getting into the car.
  6. Speaking of the car, just put dry clothes and a large garbage bag aside for whoever picks you up. Then you don't have to carry them and you won't get their car all gross.
  7. Bring deo or something to prevent underarm chafing. Not a problem this time, but good reminder.
  8. Lastly, check water sources before hiking! Was going to refill at Birdseye Hollow park, but there was enough of an algae bloom that I chose against it. Fortunately there was another water source on the route, but I definitely got lucky.
Changes to original plan:
  1. Brought a 1L bottle of water as backup to my 2L bladder. It was a LITTLE close, but overall I was fine. If I'm going to have a 2L bladder, I should have a 2L backup. The purification tablets take 4 hours which is about how long it takes me to go through 2L.
  2. Didn't bring many extra clothes, but STUPIDLY work cotton t-shirt and shorts. Sweat just would not stop running.
  3. Don't forget to wring out your sweat cloth.
  4. Water is often not easy to get to and very likely you will get wet / muddy trying to gather some for you to filter. The long hose on the miniworks was awesome - maybe get a longer one!
  5. REALLY too close on food. The one Green Belly I brought was eaten around 2pm on Sunday. Then I was down to 2 dehydrated meals. Turned out fine, but having ZERO food for snacking on the trail was moronic.

No comments:

Post a Comment